Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bo Diddley Beat

Bo Diddley never received a royalty check. Weird, huh?

He also had custom-made Gretsch guitars with fur bodies and rocket tails connected to his 25-watt Magnatone, he electrified his guitar with a radio and a phonograph and he made the whoompwhoompwhoomp with an old windup clock.

I went to see him when he played at Emen's a couple of years ago. It was me, Jake, Chris and a lot of old apple sauce eaters that knew how to dance. I wish I could remember some of his quotes because that man had a way of talking. i.e. "Dirty Mother Fuyer." 

Soo, The Bo Diddley Beat was derived from the hambone (juba dance) and church beats. 
(Hambone is also a term for four consecutive strikes in bowling). I think at the next dance party at I'll break out some of the juba dance steps including, yaller cat, the jubal jew, blow that candle out and the long dog scratch. Now can you hambone baby boomp, ba boomp, ba bomp, bomp-bomp. Some interesting hambone, here, the uploader refers to hambone as the granddaddy of beat-boxing. hah. 
I want to be exactly like Norma Jean Wofford, the Duchess, She's darling.






Embarrassingly enough, I just realized today that George Michael's song "Faith" is the Bo Diddley beat.

Nap time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers